My Life as a Server

Hey you,

Did you have a good day today? I sure hope you did because mine was hectic and stressful. People used to always tell me that serving made good money- and it is true, you do. Today I walked over 30,000 steps. If there is a moment right now for me to complain, here is what I am feeling: I am so tired. My legs ache and my feet hurt. I am tired and my back hurts. I am hungry, yet, it is 11:27pm currently. Therefore, here I am writing this as I am stuffing my face with leftover spicy edamame, salted potato chips, and a microwavable mac-n-cheese. So many things happened today; so much that I do not even want to think about to bring up anymore. We were slammed tonight- full house, short-staffed, late food, and upset customers. You know the saying, "You can't always please everyone."? Well it sure is damn true.

I first started getting into the restaurant business when I was actually 17 years old. My first restaurant job was being a hostess at a sushi restaurant called Naan Sushi in Plano, Texas at the Shops of Legacy. I always liked being a hostess then. I was getting paid decent money for a high school student and I always met super friendly people. I started serving shortly after at a place in Hulen, Fort Worth called Edohana Sushi. This was the first time I learned what sushi actually was. I never knew there was a difference between actual sushi and then something called sashimi. There, I learned everything I needed to know. After a few months, my aunt and uncle opened up a place called Buddha Belly in Frisco, Texas and I worked there for about a year or two. I helped from being server, to bartender, to assistant manager. 

Many people think serving is taking a couple of orders and running some food to the table. However, it is actually way more than that. When you are a customer, you come and go as you please. You tip how much you want and hang out as long as you would like. Being a server is almost as if you are being someone's slave. There is an endless calling for "excuse me" and "miss!". The needy ones are always asking "can I have a fork?", "can I get a side of ...", "can I get a plate", and the list goes on. The rude ones tip either little to nothing or maybe if you are lucky enough, they will leave you their change. 

I feel as if so many people do not understand the work servers have to go through. For 12 hours a days, you are constantly on your feet. You deal with people nonstop and you constantly fake a smile. You are lucky if you are able to take a sip of water. Many times, from the moment I step foot into the restaurant at 10am until 2:30pm, I am constantly attending people and making sure they are doing well. That they like the food; that there are no issues. If I do not eat breakfast, I eat during 2:30pm and 3:00pm. If I get home late at night, often times I would just skip dinner and go right to bed after washing up. 

People can be nice. Then there are some who are just plain, upright rude. If you are not aware, a server is based solely on tips. They get paid about $2.00-$2.15 an hour, however, that hourly wage is to cover taxes. If a couple tips you $1, well... that is what you are going to earn. Hopefully you do not have to tip out to the busses, hostess, chefs, cooks, or bartenders.

I currently work six days a week with 12 hour long shifts. When I get home, it sucks because my entire day is gone. I am tired and all I want to do is just rest. My mind is awake but my body wants to sleep. I try to go to sleep by midnight or 1AM and wake up between 5:30AM-8:00AM. 

I have always hated serving. It took up my time and my life. It made me hate being around people. My feet is always aching and I am always tired. Mentally, I believe I am just exhausted from having to work so much and not have a purpose for it. What is the point of working all the time if you do not enjoy it? What is the point of making so much money for if you can not spend it?

Working for family is never easy. When you have an idea for something, you may get shut down. You butt heads and argue a lot. There is never a professional environment. The worst part is caring so much for the place and feeling like you have this big resposibilty to watch over. If no one cares for it or do anything, then no one will and nothing will ever get done. 

Right now, I am fortunate enough that my aunt and uncle have two sushi restaurants. I know often times I am in no place to complain because other people do not even have a life they get to live; all they know is nothing but work. Some do not get a day off and some devote every hour to working. Because of this restaurant, I do not have to work under someone or for someone. With everything must come a price to pay and something you are willing to sacrifice. For me, I am sacrificing sleep, time, and life. 

I can not wait for the day I get out for good. Well, it is now 12:08AM. Time for some beauty sleep to rest up for another long day tomorrow. 

Sincerely, 

Me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's your purpose in life?

The Beginning of a Young Entrepreneur

The Truth About Me